Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Temptation

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." How often have I sat alone, isolated and dwelling on my sad situation? How often have I convinced myself that my trial is unique and that nobody else would understand? The truth is that if someone else is still sucking air, they know exactly how I feel. Nothing I face makes me unique or special. No trial grants me entitlement, special grace or exemption. Temptation is common. However, what does make me unique is how I face trials and temptation. God has graciously extended strength and a way of escape to all of us through the Holy Spirit and His body, the church. The real test is whether or not I chose to stand in His strength or follow His way of escape. God is faithful, the question is, "Will I be faithful?" I must get out of my own head, stop focusing on my strength or weakness, and stop sulking about my trial. I must get out of myself and open my eyes to what He is doing through the Holy Spirit and His church. I must learn to celebrate God's grace and find gratitude for His provisions. Father, forgive me for dwelling on my trials and tribulations. Forgive me for forgetting Your grace and provisions for me. Convict my heart in the moment I turn inward and help me celebrate Your grace and goodness to me. Give me the mind and spirit to embrace Your strength and find Your escape. Amen.

No comments: