Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Life-giving Blood

Leviticus 17:11
"For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.’"

Day after day, hour by hour - each sacrifice clearly displayed and prophesied of the Great and Perfect Atonement that was to come. Each sacred drop spilled at the Temple upon the altar was to penetrate the hearts and minds of the people, reminding them of the price and severity of sin. Like all ritual, I'm sure that the imagery grew dull and common. And like all imagery, it fell so short of communicating what it was meant to proclaim. If only they knew how great was the sacrifice to come, how perfect and truly life-giving was the blood to one day be shed. And while I know this... I am a bit envious of Israel. I envy the constant reminder that thrust it's way into every activity of life. I need a more constant reminder of what Christ has done for me on the cross. It doesn't seem adequate for me to take communion once a month. I need a more constant reminder of the atonement make for me through the blood of Jesus. I need to be reminded daily of the life-giving gift shed for me at the cross.

Jesus, penetrate my heart with the reality of Your sacrifice. Remind me of Your blood, shed for me. Make me more alive each day through the powerful reminder of the cross and the atonement made for me. Amen.

No comments: