Monday, May 19, 2008

Love

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love suffers long... I am easily frustrated.
and is kind... I'm blunt, harsh and critical.
love does not envy... I deserve so much more.
love does not parade itself, is not puffed up... I need to be recognized.
does not behave rudely... I am arrogant and aloof.
does not seek its own... I demand what is due to me.
is not provoked... I can hardly avoid a good argument.
thinks no evil... I dwell on my struggles and let my mind rot.
does not rejoice in iniquity... unless is serves me well.
but rejoices in the truth... only when it serves me well.
bears all things... I lack mercy and grace.
believes all things... I lack sympathy and understanding.
hopes all things... I worry and let anxiety overcome me.
endures all things... I demand instant attention, satisfaction and change.

Love has a lot of "nots." To whittle love down to one simple phrase; "Love is NOT about me." So often though this is my starting point and getting the focus off me is so difficult. I get stuck on entitlement, what is "fair" and what I call "principles" that have no part in 1 Corinthians 13 or any definition of love.
So what would my life look like if I started out with others in mind? What if my path of thought was about what my wife, my family, friends, coworkers and acquaintances deserved? What a different person I would be!

... deserves space and grace.
... could always use a word of encouragement.
... has needs and desires that I can meet.
... deserves to be recognized and appreciated.
... could use some time and tenderness.
... needs a hand today.
... needs me to let things go quickly.
... deserves a clear and open-minded friend and the benefit of the doubt.
... needs a friend with a pure heart.
... needs the blessing Truth celebrated today.
... has a lot to bear and is entitled to my help.
... deserves sympathy and understanding.
... is in God's hands and He can be trusted.
... deserves a constant and consistent friendship born out of Love.


God, help me focus on others. Keep my eyes and mind off of me!
Amen.

1 comment:

Amy Rudge said...

Hey that was deep...thanks...I've been thinking along those lines for a few weeks now...kind of a neat journey. I hope you're doing well!!