Thursday, May 1, 2008

Christ Crucified

1 Corinthians 1:22-25
Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

What am I seeking? Power? Knowledge? Favor? Blessing? Success? When we look at the cross we see nothing like these. we see a man crucified, helpless, cursed, abandoned. The sign was clear to the Jew - no power there; to the Greek - nothing like wisdom. There's no power or knowledge or wisdom in death - but there is life. And in the life Christ gives through His death there is immeasurable power and endless wisdom. Yet the Jews and Greeks couldn't see this because they looked past the cross. They focused on those things past the cross. And therefore, the cross made them stumble and brought confusion. But when our focus is Christ - all else comes into focus.
So, where is my focus? Am I looking past Christ crucified3d for something else?... I'll probably find it (that is, something else - other than what I seek - most likely frustration and foolishness). Am I focused on ministry? favor? kids? making changes?... Can I be content to just focus on Christ crucified and let all else follow according to His will? Will I?

God - help me keep my eyes on You and the cross ever before me. Make me to seek You alone each day and trust You alone for all else. Amen.

No comments: