Friday, May 9, 2008

My Sacrifice

1 Corinthians 7:3

“Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and also likewise the wife to her husband.”

There is no standard checklist of affections due to wives. True to Ephesians 5 I am to nurture her and wash her with the water of the Word, but I am to do this according to the unique needs of my wife in a manner that she can receive. Therefore, husbandry is much more an art than a science. It’s a dance in which I lead but always respond to my partner’s body, position and movements. So marriage is understanding the unique needs, desires, emotions and moods of my bride and responding appropriately. So what are the unique affections due to my bride? What are her unique needs today? I must ask this question daily. If we are not to deprive one another of physical affection but for a time (and only for fasting and prayer. Vs 4-5) then this principle must also hold true for other affections – words of encouragement, acts of service, gifts of love, quality time, tenderness and listening, etc…. I also notice that in this verse Paul addresses the husbands first. Husbands lead the way in affection and need meeting. I sacrifice the needs of my own flesh for the sake of hers - after all, she is my body, we are one flesh. Therefore, I lead and she comes first. I set my own needs, desires, emotions and moods aside for the sake of meeting hers. Ironically, in doing so, I also communicate an immeasurable amount of love and affection for her. This is my calling as a husband.

God – grant me the self-control to be selfless. Grant me the eyes and ears to see and hear the unique needs of my bride. Grant me a tender heart to nurture her according to her needs each day. Grant me the sacrificial attitude of Christ and let me sacrifice for the sake of my wife. Amen.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

AMEN!! i am so greatful for a husband like you, thank you for leading!