Monday, May 12, 2008

Christian Freedom

1 Corinthians 8:9
"But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak."

Who is watching me? My wife, my kids, my neighbors, my family, my church friends, the kids in the youth group, strangers who know who I am from church.... What message am I sending? What stereotypes am I reinforcing, confirming or denying? What priorities am I declaring or promoting? Others are watching - am I even aware or has my freedom in Christ become so familiar that I don't even care? When I do care, who am I most aware of? More often than not, I am more sensitive to those outside the church - to be acceptable to them. Shouldn't I be more sensitive to my own body? My health in every way - spiritual ,social , emotional and otherwise is directly related to my care for those in the body of Christ. I must be more alert and willing to disciplining myself and restrain my liberty for the sake of my brothers and sisters in Christ. Then, maybe those outside the church may see our care for one another and be drawn by our discipline rather than our freedom.

God, help me to discipline my freedom for all who are watching.

No comments: