Friday, July 11, 2008

Among Thorns - Temptation & Trial

Mark 4:18-19
"Now these are the ones sown among thorns; they are the ones who hear the word, and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful."

There is a difference between those who are convinced of the Word of God and those who are committed to the Word of God. when I allow temptation or trials to choke out my commitment to God's way I have merely settled for a convinced life; believing with my head, intellectually acknowledging the truth, yet denying it in my heart, words and actions.
Thorns are not unique to the new believer. Maturity does not prevent the presence of thorns, but overcomes their power. They will grow up, but they will note choke out the life of the mature believer. They may however reduce their fruit.
So what are the thorns in my life? Where am I tempted to settle for convinced rather than convicted and committed to living God's way? Are there weeds that have grown up in my life and wrapped themselves around me so that I am not even aware of them? Which cares of the world or fears are preventing me from being fruitful? I need to weed my life of worry, a critical spirit, bitterness, resentment and pride.

Father - help me rid my life of these weeds and thorns. Grow me up and strengthen my commitment to living according to Your Word. Amen.

No comments: