Friday, July 18, 2008

Cost of following Jesus

Mark 8:34
"When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

What will it cost me to follow Jesus?... Everything.
What will it cost me to not follow Jesus?... Everything.
Either way, God will and does demand my all; in this lifetime or the life to come.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

I find it interesting that "follow me" comes last in this passage. We can't truly follow Jesus until we first deny our own desires, hungers and flesh. We may muster up a desire to follow him... but following requires sacrifice, without which our desire is unfruitful, ineffective, dead. Following means leaving behind what belongs to our old nature and embracing what is of His nature - the cross. I am not truly following Jesus unless my life is marked by selfless sacrifice. This idea is so contrary, even foreign to our cultural version of Christianity which promotes prosperity and happiness as the evidence of true faith and favor. Instead, true favor is found in the privilege to follow in the sacrificial path of Christ. True favor and blessed disciples are marked not by abundance and ease, but by trial - demonstrating the vary nature of Christ in sacrifice and suffering. What a small price to pay for the joy on knowing Christ, being united with His Spirit and participating in the divine nature of God for eternity!

Father - teach me to deny myself, to overcome my self-centered sense of entitlement and follow You. Take my life and lay Your cross upon me that I may reflect Your nature to my world. Make me to follow You. Amen.

No comments: