Thursday, July 3, 2008

Vapor

Psalm 39:4-5
“LORD, make me to know my end,
And what is the measure of my days,
That I may know how frail I am.
Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before You;
Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Selah"

This may be one of the most difficult and yet valuable lessons a man can learn. To be confronted by one's own frail humanity and the fragility of life can be devastating - depressing at best. At the same time it can be motivating; compelling us to live more fully into every moment, to make a larger impact, to leave a more noble mark, to love more, fight less, to forgive and let go, to speak more clearly how we truly feel.
I did a funeral for a baby yesterday. I've been constantly thinking of and praying for my friend Eric who will soon leave behind his amazing wife and three beautiful, precious children. I've been feeling my own humanity; losing my hair, feeling more aches and pains, experiencing limitations and actually noticing individual breaths. I'm right here in this verse.
And I am so richly blessed. If life is but a breath, I will use mine to declare the goodness of God - nothing less.

I praise You Lord, my God and my Creator; for You are Good - far too good to me. Delight in my breath and teach me to honor you with each moment of my short life. Amen.

1 comment:

JS said...

Hi Pete,
I googled Psalm 39:5b and your entry caught my attention for some reasons and I am blessed even more that I chose to read it.

There is a sincerity with your entry, simple, straight to the point and yet thoughtful. Thank you for this and I pray it blesses many more as it has blessed me today.

How I wish many catch the revelations packed in this verse, then the greed in this world will be much reduced. I pray that God will make every reader know his end in Jesus name, Amen.