Thursday, July 10, 2008

New wine, new wineskin

Mark 2:22
"And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine bursts the wineskins, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins.”

Throughout this second chapter of Mark and even into the third, the Jewish leaders try to fit Jesus and His message into their Old Testament, law-based frame of mind. They were offended by His message and conduct because they didn't understand it. They missed the heart of the law, favoring the appearance of it. This misunderstanding also led to a fear of Jesus, His message and His ministry. Like the old wineskins, the Jewish leaders would eventually self destruct, burst at the seams in response to Jesus.
Where am I experiencing a new movement of God or the prompting of the Holy Spirit that doesn't fit into my cultural or traditional understanding of Christianity? Where am I bound to an old way of thinking or acting? Have I embraced as true and core to following Jesus what is not? I need to get past these barriers and find a new way of ministering in love, joy, peace, etc.... Against the fruit of the Spirit there is no law, (Gal. 5:22-23).

God help me to live by the Spirit and not by the law or my own way of self-righteous thinking. Help me grow and expand to receive, enjoy and pass on Your message. make me a new wineskin each day. Amen.

No comments: