Wednesday, July 16, 2008

From the heart...

Mark 7:21-23
"For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22 thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. 23 All these evil things come from within and defile a man.”

I think much of life is spent trying to keep these evils from getting out. We work pretty hard to maintain the appearance of purity and righteousness. Like the Pharisees, we feel good if we can just manage our reputations well and avoid being found out.
I wonder what kind of fullness I might experience if I focused more time and energy on getting these evils out?... even out in the open? Through confession and accountability these evils come into the light and no longer have any power over me. Imagine what the church would be like if we all practiced such humility, vulnerability and dedication to purifying our hearts!

God - help me to know my sin - the private sin I harbor in my heart. Let me know how to purify my heart. Cleanse me from pride, fear and laziness. Let me be true to the faith and Word that I profess. Amen.

No comments: