Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Is He amazed by me or am I amazed by Him?

Mark 6:5-6
"Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching."


Lately I have been amazed and shocked by the humanity and limitations of Jesus; how He completely bound Himself to flesh for our sake. Here in His home town Jesus was unable to do many miracles because of their lack of faith; and He was amazed. I wonder if Jesus was more amazed by their lack of faith or by the consequences. Was He surprised by His inability to exercise His divine power? Did He attempt to heal more people and was "defeated" or did He just not even bother, knowing that there was not enough faith there to work with? Is He shocked or amazed at my lack of faith in the midst of all the blessings He has already given? Have I, like the people in Jesus' home town, become so familiar with Jesus that I don't expect the miraculous? Is He more amazed by me (my lack of faith) than I am of Him?

Jesus - amaze me. Open my eyes and deepen my faith. Drive out from me all sense of familiarity and replace it with wonder and awe. Make me more amazed by You than You are of me. Amen.

No comments: