Friday, July 4, 2008

Consider The Poor

Psalm 41:1-3
Blessed is he who considers the poor;
The LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.
The LORD will preserve him and keep him alive,
And he will be blessed on the earth;
You will not deliver him to the will of his enemies.
The LORD will strengthen him on his bed of illness;
You will sustain him on his sickbed."

I am amazed at how David (and God for that matter) considers the poor and ties God's favor to our treatment of those who are needy and hurting. God has a special place in His heart for the downtrodden; Hagar, Mephibosheth, the widow who fed Elijah, Ruth & Naomi, and the list goes on. The most inspiring thing about this list is that all of these were relative strangers to God and His people. They were outsiders! God preserved and blessed them even though they had little claim to His provision. The Lord is truly merciful and tenderhearted to all who are hurting. Am I?
I am blessed to join Him in softening my heart to the poor and taking up His cause. I am blessed to participate in His divine nature by caring for those who are closest to His heart.

Merciful God - soften my heart to the poor and open my eyes to see how I may be used. Bless me to be a blessing. Expand my resources so that I have more to share and give. Make me more efficient so that I can serve more. Make me wise so that I know what to do with every blessing You place before me. Preserve my life and let me care for those who are close to Your heart. I want to share in Your tender mercies and loving kindness. Amen.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

i love sharing the blessings He has given us, to bless others. thank you for being at my side and doing this with me!