Monday, December 1, 2008

Consecrated

Joshua 7:13(NIV)
"Go, consecrate the people. Tell them, 'Consecrate yourselves in preparation for tomorrow; for this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: That which is devoted is among you, O Israel. You cannot stand against your enemies until you remove it.

There are two important steps in consecration as illustrated by Israel regarding the sin of Achan. First, we must give ourselves fully over to God, calling on Him to sanctify us and the process as we invite Him back into the process and a new relationship. However when God reengages with with Israel, it is not for fellowship or to commune but to consume their sin. I think this is why so many of us are unwilling to enter into confession or turn to God when we have strayed - internally we bear the expectation of judgment. However, for consecration to be complete, we must allow God to do this second step of removing sin. God not only removed Achan and the accursed things, but also everything they touched; family, livestock, home, possessions. We too must ruthlessly remove sin both public and private. God know what I harbor. These are the things that stand between me and the full blessing of God.
How often have I begged the Lord's blessing while still harboring sin? I'm prove to invite God into my life, but resistant to letting Him root out the sin in my tent. I like the first step of consecration, but not the second. But to be fully consecrated to God, He must consume all that does not honor Him. His blessing demands my purity. He is worth my purity.
God, ruthlessly remove sin from my life. Uncover my hidden faults and sanctify my life and family to fully honor You. Amen.

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

No comments: