Tuesday, December 23, 2008

to both work and will...

Philippians 2:13
for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Isn't free will really just an illusion?
According to this passage I am not only unable to do as will, but I am unable to even will what I may. (I'm sure there is some sort of philosophical problem with that sentence but I don't have the will to correct it.)
God not only empowers me to do His work, but also to want to do it! On my own I would not choose good nor find the capacity to do it (Rom. 3:12). But by His Spirit in me I am able to obey and desire obedience.
Thank God that He has chosen to change my will. I'm grateul that He didn't just extend to me a balance of choices. I know that I have the sort of will and appetite that struggles to do good. I know I need this degree of intervention. This truth leads me to praise God for His wisdom and grace in going to such lengths to not only ensure my salvation but also my sanctification. Christ has certainly and thoroughly done it all for me. I have nothing to boast in. He is the only author and perfecter of my faith (Heb. 12:2).

I praise You Father for Your sovereign and gracious work in my life. Thank You for moving in me to will and to work for Your glory. Amen.

1 comment:

Keith W said...

even your wesleyan friend Keith can Amen this!