Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Not mine...

Joshua 24:13
I have given you a land for which you did not labor, and cities which you did not build, and you dwell in them; you eat of the vineyards and olive groves which you did not plant.’

How foolish am I to live in the illusion that I somehow have earned or deserve the blessings around me? I work hard each day but God blesses my labor, without Him I'm not blessed, I'm just busy. As it says in Psalm 127:1, "unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vein who build it." Even by labor is a gift from God, each day, each breath... all gifts. And somehow I still take pride in my position. How foolish! If this truth truly sunk into my head and my heart, what would my life look like?
I would praise Him more. I would be more careful to obey Him. I would be more generous, less selfish, more peaceful, less ambitious. I'd be more grateful for sure.

Father, make me more grateful for all You have given me. Help me to recognize all Your blessings, big and small. Teach me to be humble and to give You praise.

No comments: