Monday, December 22, 2008

Suffering for His sake

Philippians 1:29
"For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake,"

There are few words that better describe the life and ministry of Jesus than suffering. Simply living in the flesh must have been uncomfortable at best. To dwell with sinful man must have been agonizing. To take our penalty and suffer the Father's wrath must have been incomparably excruciating. And it has been granted to me not only to believe in Him but also to suffer along with Him. Why is this such a privilege and gift?
Through suffering I personally and publicly identify with the person and work of Jesus Christ. In suffering His Spirit comes alive in me and His strength is made perfect (2 Cor. 12:9). Suffering is the tool God uses to mold me into His image, to conform to His nature and ways. Suffering is the confirmation that I am truly living contrary to the world (Jn. 15:18-19). Suffering is the sign that I am living a life worthy of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I have no ability to identify with or understand this type of suffering. I suffer what is common in life, but I have little idea of what it is like to suffer for the sake of Christ. The closest that I come is sacrificing luxuries or comforts like a new car, a bigger TV, meals out or leisure time. I may occasionally risk my reputation or a relationship by holding out the Word of God or calling someone to a higher standard. I may give sacrificially within my budget if I truly feel led. However, these rarely provoke suffering and what suffering they may present pales in comparison to Christ or the martyrs around the world; so much so that it would be unfair to call this suffering.
what would I need to do or change in my life to more fully realize and experience the privilege of suffering for the sake of Christ? I would need to be more bold in proclaiming God's Word and His Gospel. I would need to give more sacrificially, more deeply according to need and not supply. I would need to strengthen my faith in God's provision, protection and plan for my life. If I truly believed that His grace was sufficient for me, I would be more likely to step out in faith and take a risk.
And yet, to follow Him in faith is no risk at all. The real risk is found in remaining the same, staying comfortable, keeping silent. The real risk is believing and not knowing intimately the reality of His presence and ministry in my life. What a tragedy it would be to believe in Him and yet not know Him or identify with Him in this way!? What an empty faith this would be!?
I want to know Him. I want to identify with Hi suffering. I want to fully participate in His nature withing me. I want to live a life worthy of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Father - make me more faithful, more bold, more sacrificial. Bless me to not only believe, but also to suffer along with Your saints, to be counted worthy of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: