Wednesday, December 10, 2008

the prayer of my faith

Ephesians 1:17-19
"that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, 18 the eyes of your understanding[c] being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power"

What an amazing prayer to offer on behalf of another believer; knowledge, wisdom, hope, inheritance, power and mighty works of God... wow! What if all these things came alive in me? What if I dedicated myself to right doctrine and study of the Word of God, to let it come alive in me in wisdom and conduct, focused on the glorious hope that awaits and the unsurpassed inheritance of heaven, unhindered by this world but empowered by His Spirit for mighty works?! Sounds too good to be true... which is why this is such an amazing (and necessary) prayer. This type of life only comes by the Spirit of God through the prayers of His saints. We have been adopted as His sons (vs. 5) and must live like one. We cannot settle for ordinary or sufficient spirituality. We cannot get stuck in the rut of religion. Our hearts must burst with the light of His truth. That we have been made children of God and granted every spiritual blessing that comes with sonship... what motivation! This is the prayer of my faith; that I might know intimately (not academically or by pious faith) the reality of my identity in Christ and that it would lead me to see and participate in the works of His mighty power for the salvation of this world.

Lord, enlighten the eyes of my heart and make me to know who I am in you. Fill me with the hope of Your glory and use me for Your kingdom. Amen.

No comments: