Monday, December 15, 2008

Grieving the Holy Spirit

Ephesians 4:30
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

When Paul writes about grieving the Holy Spirit he uses the Greek word "Lupeo" which is generally associated with deep loss or death. This is the same word used to describe Jesus' sorrow in the Garden of Gethsemane when He literally sweat blood (Mt. 26:37). Paul is not suggesting here that my sin simply frustrates or hinders or irritates the Holy Spirit - it sends Him into deep sorrow as if I were dead! He cannot avoid this reality since He is the seal by which my salvation has been secured. As blood is to flesh and marrow to bone, so is the Holy Spirit to each believer. He cannot simply turn His back or step away as I do my thing, my sin is His painful reality. And while I'd rather think this reaction is reserved for greater sin, all sins are equal and equally grievous to the Holy (without sin) Spirit. It makes me wonder how much of my life is spent grieving the Holy Spirit?

Father, give me the spiritual eyes to recognize my sin and realize where I have been grieving Your Holy Spirit. Make me keenly aware of when my actions, words, thoughts and motives do not honor You. Keep me from grieving Your Holy Spirit. Amen

No comments: