Monday, December 29, 2008

Contentment

Philippians 4:11-12
"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

Contentment like Paul's is rare. This quality of contentment is not measured by stuff or comfort or status or health or peace - but by the fullness of Christ. We have all met discontent people with much, with comfortable lives, great health, and favor as well as those with none of these. As is written in Proverbs 27:20, "death and destruction are never satisfied, and neither are the eyes of a man." Paul on the other hand learned to take his eyes off the things of this world and place them solely on Christ. He learned to be satisfied and filled with the Spirit of Christ rather than his own righteousness or any other worldly pursuit. For Paul, even his righteousness and pious pursuits were considered rubbish compared to knowing Christ and even identifying with His death and suffering (Phil. 3:8). Paul changed the measure of contentment in his life. (I like to think of Paul saying something like, "if at first you don't succeed... change the game!) By simply changing the measurement of contentment Paul came to realize that he could "do all things through Christ" who gave him strength (Phil. 4:13).
So the question I am faced with today is "am I content"... but instead, "am I filled with Christ?" Am I focused on my relationship with Him over all else? What am I doing to be filled with His Spirit and His strength?

Father - fill me with Your Spirit and let me know Your strength. Teach me to live and rest in Your presence. Make me content in You alone. Amen.

No comments: