Thursday, December 11, 2008

Peace...

Ephesians 2:14a, 17
For he himself is our peace....
And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near.

By the righteous life and substitutionary death of Jesus on the cross the wrath of God toward my sin has been appeased. I am no longer His enemy but His son, His friend, His servant. Because He died in my place I have peace to live each day free from the terror of offending my Holy Creator. I have confidence in His forgiveness and courage to approach His throne in prayer. Jesus along is that peace, all else is foolishness.
This is the truth behind the Christmas claim of "peace on earth." This is what the angels proclaimed that first Christmas (luke 2:14) and what is to be our proclamation still today. It wasn't enough for Jesus to simply "be" our peace, but to be and to preach peace to all who are far off and those who are so close. We must be His proclamation of peace, His ambassadors of this good news. It is not enough for us to carry with us Christmas cheer, we must also preach peace to those we meet.
So, what will my Christmas proclamation be?

God - give me the wisdom and courage to share Your peace, real peace, this Christmas. Give me the right words to share this good news and Your peace this Christmas. Amen.

No comments: