Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Being with God

Exodus 34:28-30
"Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.
When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him."

When people are afraid to come near me it's usually because I have not been talking with God. It's amazing how clearly my attitude and countenance change when I am spending lots of quality time in God's Word and prayer. No longer do I walk around laying claim on my rites or what I feel I deserve. In God's presence I am able to fast from even my strongest hungers. When seeking God's face I can deny my flesh. Yet when I skip out of being face to face with God, I become selfish, self righteous, bitter and harsh. People are afraid to be around me.
I wonder what it would be like to walk with God so intensely that others were somewhat afraid - not knowing what amazing or crazy thing God was about to do through me next?
I know a guy named Bill who won't spend a minute with you unless he can pray for 30 seconds of it. He scares me. He scares me for no other reason than his intense love for God and commitment to prayer intimidate me, they overwhelm me. Now I don't want to make people feel uncomfortable... but I guess that just might be the bi product of seeing God face to face. I'll take it... and deal with it.
Perhaps that's why Moses veiled his face?

God, let Your Glory shine in my life so intensely that others know that You are up to something. Give me a boldness of love and grace and mercy that shines so intensely that others are... uncomfortable (in a good way). Drive me to seek your face daily. Amen.

"We must never seek the hand of God unless we first seek the face of God."

Shidanke Johnson
Pastor, church planter &
Shining face of God
in Sierra Leone, Africa

No comments: