Monday, April 20, 2009

Faith and Followthrough

1 Samuel 12:22-23
For the LORD will not forsake His people, for His great name’s sake, because it has pleased the LORD to make you His people. Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and the right way.

Samuel had perfect faith in the character of God. He knew the statutes of the Lord and understood the great things which God had done for His people. The sovereign Lord would not let His people be destroyed. However Samuel still went before God in petition for Israel. Samuel's faith and certainty in the goodness of God did not lead him to rest but to even more fervent prayer. For Samuel, prayer was not only a matter of need and seeking God's will, but moreover one of obedience. For Samuel, prayer confirmed what he already knew of the character and reputation of God and also what he himself committed to. Prayer confirmed his faith.
As for me, do I pray out of obedience? Do I pray only out of need? Is prayer a habit of answers rather than obedience? Will I pray regardless of my faith in the character of God to do what is right for His name sake?

Father - make me more faithful to pray. Drive me to pray out of obedience and not only out of need. Let my prayers be driven by faithfulness in spite of my faith. Amen.

No comments: