Friday, April 17, 2009

a new heart

1 Samuel 10:9
So it was, when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, that God gave him another heart; and all those signs came to pass that day.

This new heart given to Saul reminds me of the new heart God promised to all of true Israel in Ezekiel 36:26-27, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws." (also in Ezekiel 11:19 & 18:31) God was preparing Saul's heart to receive His Holy Spirit and lead His people. This must have been an Old Testament form of regeneration (removing sin & sins curse and recreating a whole new person on the inside). Without regeneration of the heart, the Spirit could not work and Saul could not lead according to God's will. It says in 1 Corinthians 2:14, "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."
While I believe that regeneration is a one-time event at the beginning of a believer's walk, I also believe it is a person and private event that occurs daily in all believers. I am regenerated, made new, daily through confession of sin, adoration of the nature of God and meditation on the Word of God. These habits soften my heart and allow me to hear and receive promptings of the Holy Spirit. Wen my heart is renewed and made right before God, then I can also lead God's people and confidently claim His victory in my life and His kingdom. Without regeneration, Saul and I are left leading out of our own sinful nature.

God, search my heart and remove my sin. Soften my heart to hear and receive Your Word. Strengthen my heart to do according to Your will. Set my heart apart for You alone. Amen.

No comments: