Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Heart

1 Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

The book of 1 Samuel uses the word "heart" 16 times. Each time it is tied to something deeply passionate or deeply personal. Often it is influenced or changed by God. The NKJV Bible translates the word heart 926 times and the NIV 743 times.

1 Samuel 13:14b
"the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart"

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

Luke 6:45
The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

Ezekiel 36:26
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.

Matthew 22:37
"Jesus replied, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'

Father - Make me a man after Your own heart. Soften my heart and fill it with Your Spirit. Let good things flow from my heart; good words, good deeds, good will, good attitude. Let my heart be seen and known for love; love for You and love for others. Let my heart be a testimony to You and of Your gracious work. Amen.

No comments: