Thursday, April 16, 2009

Holiness

1 Samuel 6:20
And the men of Beth Shemesh said, “Who is able to stand before this holy LORD God? And to whom shall it go up from us?”

Who is able to stand before this Holy Lord God? The answer is no one. The truth is that God is so Holy that no one is even able to stand before the Holy stuff of God. For sinful man, even the symbols of God were unapproachable.
I think that today it is difficult to witness the Holiness of God, consequently, it is difficult to even understand the Holiness of God. We have no Ark or Holy Temple or priestly ritual to observe. As Western churches and evangelical Christians, we tend to resist tangible symbols, religious rituals and mystical/spiritual traditions. The result is a common, manageable, safe faith devoid of fear, reverence and wonder. The side effect is a lost sense of Holiness, the wholly other and set apart. And while there is risk and temptation to abuse or idolize these symbols as Israel did the Ark of the Lord, the reward far outweighs the risk. To know the Holiness of God is well worth the risk.
So how can we bring back the Holiness of God to the church today? How can we bring back the fear of the Lord, wonder, awe and reverence?

Lord, make me Holy. Let my life; my words, my actions, my attitudes reflect Your Holiness. Set me apart from this world and even the stuff of religion. Make me a tangible living symbol and testimony of Your Holiness. Amen.

No comments: