Tuesday, April 7, 2009

seeking out the lost

Luke 19:10
for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

Luke 19:47-48
And He was teaching daily in the temple. But the chief priests, the scribes, and the leaders of the people sought to destroy Him, and were unable to do anything; for all the people were very attentive to hear Him.

It would have been enough for Jesus to simply save us. I'm certain that the Jewish authorities would have gladly ended Jesus ministry years earlier (John 7:25). However Jesus was faithful and diligent to not only save that which was lost, but also to seek them out. He took time to pursue Zacchaeus. He boldly preached in the Temple even while they plotted to kill Him. Jesus invitation was not a generic offering but a targeted pursuit of His lost sheep.
Is it any different today? Isn't Jesus still pursuing His lost sheep through us? Shouldn't I then demonstrate the same fervor, boldness, dedication, courage and intentionality as Jesus? My invitation for the lost sheep in my life cannot be common, casual or generic. I must seek out that which is lost and proclaim boldly, publicly, daily that Good News until Jesus comes.

Father, give me the boldness and courage to seek out the lost. Help me to hear from the Holy Spirit and identify the lost sheep You are sending me to. Don't allow me to back down or be dissuaded by people or consequences or opposition. Make me more faithful to seek out the lost in my life. Amen

No comments: