Thursday, April 9, 2009

For HIS NAME Sake

Luke 21:12b-15
You will be brought before kings and rulers for My name’s sake. But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony. Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer; for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist.

When given the chance to speak, I often worry about what to say, how to say it, how I sound, how my words are woven together, etc... I even get a bit nervous when I am asked to stand up for my faith. Why?
I should feel excited to be found worthy of such an opportunity! I should feel proud for whose name I speak. I should feel vindicated because it is for His Name sake and not my own. I should feel honored to speak on behalf of the Name of Jesus.
I should not worry about my words because God created my mouth and He will fill it with His wisdom; after all, I speak for His Name sake. And when I speak I should feel somewhat glad to sound foolish, for the foolishness of God is greater than even the wisdom of man (1 Corinthians 1:18-31). His wisdom will confound, confuse, convict and even convert my adversaries. I don't have to worry about being cleaver or eloquent or profound for it's not even my words that take effect but His. Ultimately, I don't have to worry because it's not about me... it's about Him. It's about His Name. What an honor to speak up for the Name of Jesus.

Father - humble me. Take away my pride that causes me to worry about what to say, how to say it and how I will come across. Fill me with Your wisdom that all would know that it is not I who speak but You. Let all my actions and words point to Jesus. Let me not rob Him of even one word of credit or one ray of glory. Draw others wholly to You through me. Amen.

No comments: