Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Two kings

1 Samuel 22:2
And everyone who was in distress, everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was discontented gathered to him. So he became captain over them. And there were about four hundred men with him.

This account of David echoes of one who would sit on David's throne and draw all men unto himself, yet not out of royal position (John 12:32). In John 6:37 Jesus said, "all that the Father gives me will come to me and whoever comes to me I will never drive away." In Matthew 11:28 Jesus calls such debtors to Himself, "come to me all who are weary and heavy burdened and I will give you rest." As ones who had divine right to the throne, both David and Jesus resisted such exaltation in favor of exile, being hunted and persecuted by unrighteous men, and drawing other exiles to themselves.
I wonder if any of these men would one day become one of the mighty men of David in 2 Samuel 23? Would those forgiven much love much as Jesus suggested in Luke 7:47? Jesus greatest servants were those who had been forgiven of much and counted themselves among the worst of sinners (1 Tim. 1:15-16). What a joy and honor to wander with the King among the forgiven in this unrighteous world! What an honor to be counted among His people, in His service, to fight for His kingdom.

Father thank You for resisting the throne for a season in favor of forgiveness for eternity. Thank You for drawing sinners and debtors to You that I may walk with the King and find refuge in You. Amen.

No comments: