Monday, April 27, 2009

The Word of God

1 Samuel 19:20-24
"...But when they saw a group of prophets prophesying, with Samuel standing there as their leader, the Spirit of God came upon Saul's men and they also prophesied. 21 Saul was told about it, and he sent more men, and they prophesied too. Saul sent men a third time, and they also prophesied. 22 Finally, he himself left for Ramah and went to the great cistern at Secu. And he asked, "Where are Samuel and David?"
"Over in Naioth at Ramah," they said.
23 So Saul went to Naioth at Ramah. But the Spirit of God came even upon him, and he walked along prophesying until he came to Naioth. 24 He stripped off his robes and also prophesied in Samuel's presence. He lay that way all that day and night...."

God used prophesy to frustrate the evil plans of Saul and his messengers. But how is prophesy such a weapon? Ephesians 6:17 calls the World of God the sword of the Spirit. It's the only offensive piece in the armor of God. While they walked, Saul and his messengers wielded God most powerful weapon against themselves. So what exactly did the messengers and Saul prophesy that was so mighty and powerful against them?
I believe they prophesied two things. First, I believe the proclaimed the Law of God which they were intending to break. Thus, they were confessing their intended sin by the Word of God. Second, I believe they may be been proclaiming God's will to make David their king. They were declaring God's anointed to all those listening.
Both such prophesies would have produced in them a guild and shame that should have thwarted their plans. However, Saul's hardness of heart led him past guilt and shame all the way to public humiliation. This is the common path of those who hear the Word of God and know it but refuse to obey it.
Our sinful plans should stop dead when we encounter or remember God's Word. Therefore, we must work on softening our hearts to receive it and set our daily agenda to memorize it and meditate on it. This is the secret to avoiding sin.

Psalm 119:11 & 97
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.

Joshua 1:8
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

God - give me a strong mind for Your Word. Help me to remember it in temptation and meditate on it all day long. Thwart my sinful plans and keep me from humiliating myself and Your Great Name. Amen.

No comments: