Friday, April 10, 2009

serving

Luke 22:25-26
And He said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those who exercise authority over them are called ‘benefactors.’ But not so among you; on the contrary, he who is greatest among you, let him be as the younger, and he who governs as he who serves.

Authority and position most often puff up. With titles and power come fear and corruption. These often lead to self-preservation and self-exaltation. However Jesus commanded and even demonstrated just the opposite. The means to true (not self) preservation and exaltation is not by authority but humility. When we put our agenda aside and place others before ourselves God becomes our defender and gives us His approval. In servanthood there is no fear. I don't have to worry of being demoted or being humiliated. When I serve I can only move up. As it says in James 4:10, "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."

Father - humble me. Make me more content to serve. Help me put my agenda aside and make others my priority. Let my preservation and honor come only from You. Make me more like Jesus. Amen.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Your comments this week have really hit home for me.
Thanks

Tina

Love ya