Friday, April 24, 2009

Wise behavior

1 Samuel 18:30b (also 5,14,15,30)
"...David behaved more wisely than all the servants of Saul, so that his name became highly esteemed."

With all of David's skills in combat, courage before bears & lions & giants, favor with the people and the blessing and anointing of God; David did not oppose Saul. The temptation must have been great to take advantage of such favor and pursue the throne or at least enjoy the benefits of it. However with all of this favor, David restrained himself and "behaved wisely." He even restrained himself from what was rightfully his in humbly passing up Saul's offer of his oldest daughter (1 Sam 17:25). Where did David get such wisdom?

Psalm 111:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.

Proverbs 15:33
The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.

David did not fear Saul nor revere him but instead feared and revered the Lord. The wealth and power and blessings of Saul paled in comparison to what David knew awaited those who fear and follow God. Wise behavior is born out of such fear for God and knowledge of His precepts.

God - make me more reverent of You. Teach me to fear You that I may be wise in all my actions. Teach me Your precepts that I may walk in wisdom. Teach me restraint and strengthen me to wait on Your favor and blessings. Help me put myself aside and trust fully in You. Amen

No comments: