Friday, April 11, 2008

My righteousness vs. God's Righteousness

Romans 10:3-4
"For they (Israel) being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."

Where is my righteousness found? Have I built my confidence in fleshly things, in status or ritual or behaviors? Is my confidence in daily Bible study, extended times of prayer, service, evangelism piety or any other religious pattern? Is my righteousness from obedience to a set of modern Christian "do's and don'ts"?... don't drink, don't smoke, don't cuss, don't see "R" rated movies. Or does my life reflect a confidence in Christ alone? I am righteous not by my works or will but by His! And yet I still judge others and justify myself by my own law of righteousness. Like Israel, I have established my own criteria that I may not admit out loud but that shouts through my mind and choices and even my behavior. And so, I must boast all the more in Christ, crucified and risen - amen!

Father - teach me to boast in Christ and Christ alone. Humble me and teach me to exalt You in mind and heart and deed. Amen.

No comments: