Thursday, April 17, 2008

Simplicity in good

Romans 16:19
"For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore, I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good and simple concerning evil."

It's a good thing when we develop a reputation for doing good and being faithful. However when we become more enamored and fixed on maintaining our reputation that simply doing good - life can become confusing and complex. We can tangle ourselves in relationships of convenience and pursuits of status and lose sight of what is good. At best we get busy, most often about our own business rather than the business of God. And we find ourselves in danger of being like those named in verse 18 who serve their own bellies and interests. But the wise will stay simple and stick to doing good regardless of the buzz and hype.

God, keep me mindful of pride. Keep me devoted to doing good for the sake of Your people and Your kingdom. Keep me simple and innocent of evil. Amen.

No comments: