Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Receiving One Another

Romans 15:7
"Therefore receive one another, just as Christ also received us, to the Glory of God."

I must confess that I am not really good at this. I am judgemental, impatient, unmerciful and harsh. Many times I even have a difficult time receiving myself. I have a difficult time getting past the things I see and experience - they just stick in my head and I dwell on them.
God - forgive me for not receiving others as You do.

I recently read this quote,
"Jesus saw the best in us so that He could receive the worst of us." Amen.

But what exactly id He see and how has He received us? Since He received us while we were still sinners, still enemies with God (Romans 5:10), what He saw must have had little to do with us. I believe what He saw was His image, stained and bent, yet redeemable. He saw potential - a confident hope in the work of the Holy Spirit (vs 13). In order for me to receive someone still at odds with God and myself; I must first chose to see them as Christ does - through the eyes of Hope. I must look deep past their sin to the Image of God - knowing that the Holy Spirit can do the same work in them as He has done in me. By doing this I bring Glory to God, I reveal His work of redemption and point others to Christ.

God help me see past the weaknesses of others to Your image in them. Give me greater hope in the Holy Spirit to accomplish His work. Be glorified in my behavior toward others. Amen.

No comments: