Thursday, April 10, 2008

Trials & Hope

Romans 5:3-5
"We also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance character; and character hop. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

What are these tribulations that Paul writes of here? Are they merely life's little trials?... a car wreck, a budget crunch, a busy schedule, stress? Or is Paul thinking much beyond this to spiritual attacks, persecutions for faith and taunting of the evil one? Have I really ever faced true tribulations? Will the minor struggles I face regularly really lead to perseverance, character and hope? Is my fire hot enough to refine me? Then again, perhaps this process is not based on the trial I'm in but on the Holy Spirit that is in me. After all, the hottest trial will not produce hope apart from His work. Which means that my transformation comes when I focus not on my trials (no matter the size) but on the love of God poured out through His Holy Spirit and the work He is doing in me.

Father - speak to me loud in the midst of my struggles and make me hear your Holy Spirit. Refine me today.

No comments: