Friday, April 11, 2008

Spirit vs. Flesh

Romans 8:5-6
"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be Spiritually minded is life and peace."

If I do not bring death to my flesh, my flesh will bring death to me. If I do not put to death my carnal mind - it will put me to death. However if I bring life to the Spirit in me - the Spirit will bring me to life! This is a daily, even momentary discipline of starving the flesh of all temptation and opportunity while feeding the Spirit with Scripture, prayer, stillness, fellowship, service and sacrifice. The result is true life and peace from the internal war that Paul describes in chapter 7 wages within each of us. Oh God - to only win that war and live in peace within myself!

God, give me strength to resist my selfish flesh. Give me only ears for Your Spirit. Grant me life and peace within myself today. Amen.

No comments: