Thursday, April 10, 2008

Slavery

Romans 6:16
"Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one's slave to obey, whether of sin leading to death or of obedience leading to righteousness?"

While I know that my faith in Jesus Christ through God's grace has saved me - and my works no longer condemn me, these works of sin still bring me death. Each time I chose to obey my flesh and sin, a part of me dies; my heart grows cold, my mind weakens, my flesh gets calloused, my faith is diluted and my sensitivity to God's Spirit within me is dulled and numbed. Sin and death always run their course when we submit to them as master. To think that I can escape their consequences is lunacy. Sin is a cruel and harsh and loud master that demands all - all the time. Obedience to Christ is more difficult because He is a soft, gentle master; full of Grace and second chances. To hear His voice and follow Him I must stay close - pay close attention to His Word and set His righteousness before me all the time - my prize.

Master - draw me close to hear Your voice and see Your face each moment of each day. Discipline my heart and mind to obey You and You alone, my master and my reward.
Amen

No comments: