Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Righteousness Imputed

Romans 4:5-6
"But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works." (Psalm 32)

How amazing is it that when I stand before God - He does not see me as a guilty sinner forgiven, but as a righteous child of God, clothed in Christ's righteousness! How wonderful is it that I don't have to depend on my woefully inadequate works to earn this favor - but only believe in the wholly sufficient work of Christ on the cross. Christ has earned the favor of God and has chosen to pass it on to me through the gift of faith (Eph. 2:8-9) - apart from all works so that my only boast is in His work on my behalf. So why do I still feel so sheepishly guilty when I come before God? Has He not imputed to me righteousness and also cleansed me from a guilty conscience? (Hebrews 10:22) I should then approach the throne of Grace with confidence - not in me but in Christ's righteousness imparted to me. What power!!! I can stand before the throne of God in confidence - knowing that He sees me as He sees His Son Jesus Christ - fully robed in righteousness! What privilege!!! This is so much greater than anything man could have devised. This is the wisdom of God! It would have been enough for any of us to merely be forgiven - guilty but forgiven. But in God's infinite wisdom this was not enough. He has chosen - even required us to be fully righteous. Praise God.

Father - thank You for your righteousness - for Your gift of Christ and His work on the Cross. I praise You for Your wisdom and Your plan. Your ways are so much higher than ours. God teach me and move me to live my life clothed in Your righteousness. Make me walk worthy of this gift and bring glory and honor and joy to You. Amen.

No comments: